Construction #13 Construct a proportional segment to 3 given segments
To see a video of Mr. Ochs doing examples
Mr Ochs Video
To see and example done in flash click on a link below
Given 3 segments and a proportion construct the 4th segment so that the 4 segments are in proportion.
Note: You will start this construction by making an angle of which the measure of the angle can be anywhere around 45 degrees or less. ( the angle measure really doesn't matter but with really small or really large angles it gets harder to make this construction) You will be given the 3 segments and a proportion. You need to make sure that "x" is the fourth term in the proportion like the one given above.
1) With a straight edge draw an angle with vertex Z
2) Starting at Z, on one side of the angle mark off a + b
3) Then, from Z, on the other side of the angle mark off c.
4) With a straight edge connect the end of a to end of c.
5) Next construct a parallel line to segment AC (the segment in step 4) at the end of b.
6) The length of x is between the parallel lines on the same ray as c.